Federal Institute of Industrial Property (FIPS) is a nonprofit research organization in a form of a federal government budgetary institution.
Functions and powers of the founder of FIPS are performed by Federal Service for Intellectual Property – ROSPATENT.
The legal name of the Institute in Russian: Федеральное государственное бюджетное учреждение «Федеральный институт промышленной собственности» (ФИПС).
The main responsibilities of FIPS are carrying out of preparatory work for the implementation of Rospatent legal actions related to the legal protection and the protection of the following results of intellectual activity and means of individualization: inventions, utility models, industrial designs, trademarks, service marks, appellation of origin of goods, computer programs, databases and topographies of integral circuits as well as acquiring and use of scientific knowledge for scientific and technical support of examination of the intellectual property results and means of individualization.
- Filing and examination of applications for patent rights, including international applications for inventions and utility models, drafting of relevant decisions; consideration of applications, petitions, relating to extension of the term of exclusive rights, consideration of objections, relating to the results of examination of applications for patent rights, revocation or termination of legal protection, as well as consideration of documents required under the legislation of the Russian Federation that are presented to the state registration of exclusive rights agreements and transactions involving the use of common technology outside the Russian Federation;
- Filing and examination of applications for state registration of means of individualization, prosecution of international applications for trademark; consideration of applications for acquisition of a trademark or designation by the well known in the Russian Federation, drafting of relevant decisions; consideration of applications, petitions, relating to extension of the term of exclusive rights for means of individualization, consideration of objections and applications, relating to the decisions based on the results of examination of applications for means of individualization, revocation or termination of legal protection of means of individualization, as well as consideration of documents required under the legislation of the Russian Federation, exclusive rights for means of individualization agreements that are presented to the state registration;
- Filing and examination of applications for state registration of computer programs, databases and topographies of integral circuits; consideration of documents required under the legislation of the Russian Federation that are presented to the state registration of exclusive rights agreements and transactions involving the use of common technology outside the Russian Federation, drafting of relevant decisions;
- Carrying out procedures relating to the examination of international applications under the PCT and Madrid system, representing Rospatent as the International Searching Authority, the International Preliminary Examining Authority, as well as a Receiving Office;
- Keeping of public registers of the Russian Federation for inventions, utility models, industrial designs, trademarks and service marks, appellations of origin of goods, keeping a list of well-known trademarks in the Russian Federation, keeping of registers of the computer programs, databases, topographies of integrated circuits, as well as the transaction register involving the use of common technology outside the Russian Federation;
- Publication of official gazette of registered patent rights subjects, filed applications and granted patents, the registered means of individualization, computer programs, databases, topographies of integrated circuits;
- Library, Bibliographic, reference and information and scientific-methodical services based on the state fund of the patent documentation, and a unified system of the automated data banks.
In accordance with the main activities, the basis of the organizational structure of FIPS comprises expert departments whose activities cover all fields in science and technology.
Pendency of objections and appeals against decisions of the Examiners according to all patent rights subjects and means of individualization is carried out by “the Chamber of Patent Disputes”.
Library and reference and information services on the basis of the state fund of the patent documentation is carried out by the All-Russian Patent and Technical Library which is the part of FIPS as a division.
A number of structural subdivisions of FIPS provide adoption of modern technology in all procedures related to the implementation of the specified types of activities.
Preparation, publication and promotion of official publications are provided by the special division of FIPS.
There are also subdivisions that carry out certain administrative procedures on the patent rights subject, to ensure the quality of work and provide support functions.
In September 29, 1955 the Committee on Inventions and Discoveries of the USSR Council of Ministers (the Committee) was established that is the predecessor of the Federal Service for Intellectual Property - Rospatent.
The Committee has provided a transfer of the State to a centralized state patent examination of the applications for industrial property.
To solve this problem, in July 22, 1960 the Committee established a body which on behalf of the State performed scientific and technical examination of the intellectual activity results - All-Union Scientific Research Institute for the State Patent Examination (VNIIGPE), transformed later to the Federal Institute of Industrial Property (FIPS).
In the 90s, during the ongoing socio-economic reforms, first in the Soviet Union (1991) and then in the Russian Federation (1992) were passed laws for the industrial property protection, radically changed the pre-existing system: it was introduced a single patent form of industrial property protection (protection by copyright certificates was canceled). These changes led to the extension of the Institute activity, and added greatly to its status as the parent organization of Rospatent.
In subsequent years, the tasks entrusted to the Institute have become more complex, but its role and significance across the country has steadily increased. The fact that is still unchanged is that the Institute jointly with Rospatent since the early days of its existence, but over the years, increasingly, has carried out functions as the State Patent Office, which provides intellectual property protection in science and technology.
Berezhkovskaya nab. 30-1, Moscow,
G-59, GSP-3, 125993, Russian Federation
+7 (495) 531-6318
Phone for inquiries:
+7 (499) 240-6015
Monday – Thursday: 930 - 1815
Friday: 930 - 1700